Archive | 10:39 AM


8 Aug


Several people have written to ask me more about what is needed to travel to Italy. Speaking specifically for Americans, Italy requires you to complete the EU Digital Passenger Locator Form (dPLF) prior to boarding, available via your airline or online. This is NOT in place of a Vaccination card, rather it is used as necessary for contact tracing. (Probably a similar requirement for others, but ALL should check latest requirements before any departure.) 

What has been confusing in the last few days is what is required to enter restaurants, cultural places, etc. For Italians, it’s the green card, but so far, only those vaccinated in Italy receive one. Per several journals, including this description found in The Local it and updated August 5, things have become a bit clearer:

“People who have proof of Covid-19 vaccination, testing or recovery from one of five countries outside the European Union will be able to use it as a health passport in Italy, the Italian government has confirmed.

As Italy prepares to extend the public spaces where a so-called ‘green pass’ is required, the government has given its first indications about how visitors from non-EU countries can access the scheme.Travellers from any country in the EU or Schengen Zone can already use their national certificates in Italy as they would at home. In its latest ordinance of July 29th, the Italian Health Ministry confirmed that documents issued by health authorities in any of the following countries would also be accepted in Italy:

  • Canada
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • United Kingdom (including England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Gibraltar, the Isle of Man, the Channel Islands and British military bases on Cyprus)
  • United States of America

Certificates can be shown in digital or paper format, the Ministry said, without giving further details.

While visitors from Canada, Israel, Japan and the US can already use health certificates issued in their own countries to avoid quarantine in Italy, the Italian government has separate restrictions on the UK that oblige travellers to self-isolate for five days on arrival.” (The Local it)

Last night, we saw restaurants accepting VAX cards for indoor dining, so this seems to be working.

A Correction: Thanks to an astute friend who questioned my math: the number of days since our arrival was 582, not 947! (one year too many!)

Finally, street dining last night a la Cortona!







%d bloggers like this: